The Maths Area of Learning of this College provides opportunities that ensure all students develop skills, concepts, applications and processes which support their meaningful participation in society.
Mathematics aims to:
- expose students to a wide range of mathematical ideas
- develop an awareness of modern technology and its implication in mathematics
- emphasise the dynamic nature of maths
The skills that have been identified for effective participation in society and are included in mathematical studies at this College are:
- Number skills and computational skills including calculators
- Geometry concepts and terminology
- Measurement in all its forms
- Estimation and approximation techniques and practices
- Alertness to the reasonableness of results using a variety of calculating devices
- Reading, interpreting and constructing tables and graphs for a variety of purposes
- Learning how to use mathematics to apply the notions of probability
- Problem solving to new situations
- Applying mathematics to everyday situations and interpreting their conclusions
- Being able to read, comprehend, write, interpret and speak mathematically including the use of symbols.
To read about one of the Maths acheivements at PSC click here.