To support schools to provide quality and meaningful education to Koorie students including using the Wannik, Learning Together – Journey to Our Future education strategy.
Schools are expected to:
- work in partnership with the local Koorie community to develop place-based approaches to improving student outcomes
- support the development of high expectations and individualised learning for Koorie students
- create a learning environment for all students that acknowledges, respects and values Koorie cultures and identities
- view success for their Koorie students as core business.
Consistent with the principle of self-determination, Marrung: Aboriginal Education Plan 2016-2026 (Marrung) was developed in partnership with the Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Incorporated (VAEAI). Strong partnerships with the Koorie community will be the foundation for achieving outcomes for Koorie students in Victoria.
Programs and reforms
Programs and actions under Marrung include:
- extending the Early Year Koorie Literacy and Numeracy support to Koorie students not meeting Year 3 reading and numeracy benchmarks in Years 4 and 5
- working with schools with high Koorie absences and sharing effective practice
- reviewing the Koorie Academy of Excellence (currently operating in northern metropolitan Melbourne) and exploring opportunities to roll out an expanded model across the four DET regions
- supporting schools to use Individual Education Plans, including trialling Koorie student and family support plans through the Framework for Improving Student Outcomes (FISO)
- undertaking research to identify factors that contribute to academic achievement (including higher NAPLAN and ATAR score) and implement supporting strategies
- Marrung Education Scholarships for high achieving Aboriginal students studying Years 11 and 12 in government schools.
Other initiatives to support the learning, development and educational outcomes of Koorie learners include: the Koorie Education Workforce; LOOKOUT; Navigator and Reconnect Programs; and Education State catch-up funding.